I think sometimes, being from America (especially the southeast), there is a certain numbness to God. Sure, we know Him; but I don’t think we often really see how amazing and life-changing it should be. This semester, I am teaching a Western Culture class.
After a class lecture about wedding customs and family life in Western countries, we watched the video of our wedding. Afterwards, a student came up to me:
Girl: “Amy, in your wedding, you made those vows to God.”
Me: “Yes, we did.”
Girl: “So, I don’t understand… If Americans make these promises to God, why is the divorce rate so high? Does that mean they reject their God when they break this vow?"
Sadly, the two things every Chinese student knows about America is the staggering divorce rate and that most everyone claims to be a Christian. And when you put these two things together, it doesn't say much about us as a whole. She and I talked about this for a while. What’s amazing, though, to me is that she saw the significance in these promises to God.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Broken Promises
Posted by
The Dunns
at
10:35 AM