Yesterday was the 15th day of the first month according to the Lunar Calendar. This means it was Lantern Festival Day. Each year, Chinese New Year celebration lasts 15 days; and on the last day, people celebrate with lantern parades. I've asked several people about the origin of Lantern Festival, and everyone seems to tell me a different meaning. So I looked it up online, only to find even more meanings. So, although I'm not sure what the true meaning is, some of the many different legends about Lantern festival can be read about on Wikipedia.
What I do know is how they celebrate: ornate lanterns and fireworks. Our very small town holds a really big festival and parade each year, and we went there last night to join in on the festivities. It is the Year of the Tiger, as you can see. There was also a variety of entertainment, including music and traditional dances.
And as I went to bed, "fire flowers" (as they are called in Chinese) filled the air as each family sets off fireworks in celebration. Although beautiful, they (like all fireworks set off in China) were actually to scare away any lurking evil spirits; and by the sounds of things, they must think there are quite a few out there.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Happy Lantern Festival!
Posted by
The Dunns
at
8:33 AM