Back in October, I had this great idea that I thought would be so simple...
I gave my students an assignment to write a letter to one of my friends in America. I would grade their grammar and writing style; and, in turn, they would make friends with someone new who could share with them about life, culture, and all kinds of things! It may have been a great idea, but definitely not a simple one!
After finally gathering all the letters from my students, I sent them off to America (half to one city, half to another city). Needless to say, I underestimated the time it takes to get 150 students to write a letter, then to grade them, send them off, have my state-side friends write response letters, then have them all sent back to China again! Yet, finally, after nearly 3 months, I gave the students their return letters from their penpals this week. I have to say that all the headache, the two hours in line at the post office (3 different times), and the hassle of grading was totally worth it! The students were so excited to get letters from these "strangers" in America.
So, thank you to everyone in Knoxville who participated!
Unfortunately, the Cleveland letters got lost in the mail and then returned to me in China. (Aaagh!) So, I am attempting to send them off again very soon. Be on the lookout for them!
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Penpals
Posted by
The Dunns
at
6:30 AM