This afternoon, I am sitting in a tea shop next to our house, and I am not lying when I say that a guy outside is actually whistling Dixie Land. You know... "Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land." I have to say, it's not something I ever expected to hear in China, but this place never ceases to amaze.
In other news, I've been sick the past week and after days of avoiding going to doctor because I was afraid I may be diagnosed with swine flu and thereby be quarantined, I finally gave in. If you're sick in China, you don't go to a doctor's office, you just go to the hospital. It was my first trip to a "real" China hospital that didn't have a foreigners clinic, and I have to say that I now have a new and great appreciation for those foreigners clinics! I didn't have swine flu, as it turns out, and am feeling much better now. Aside from one small annoyance, that is...
Perhaps my biggest pet peeves about China is also one of the things I love most about it. The Chinese people are so kind and so eager to help out when you need something. Most of the time, this eagerness it appreciated and loved. But, then it becomes wintertime, and suddenly, every student becomes a worrisome mother--constantly warning us that we should wear more clothes, drink more tea, eat more rice. And when we get sick, it only increases. For example, this is one of the many text messages I received this week from a student: "Amy, have you had supper and taken some medicine? Drinking some hot water will be better for you. These days the weather is bad so be careful and wear thick clothes." Another girl called at 7am to tell me I needed to have a rest, which is exactly what I was doing until she called. I know, I know... They just care and are trying to help, but even this foreigner knows to dress warmly in the cold weather and rest when she's sick!
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Whistlin' Dixie
Posted by
The Dunns
at
4:42 PM