Yesterday Amy and I said goodbye to my sister Laurel after two wonderful weeks. There were a few tears shed (admittedly mostly mine) at the airport when we saw her off. While her flight was Friday afternoon, we left Hangzhou on Thursday, affording us the opportunity to see Shanghai's Bund at night (far more impressive at night, as the haze lends an air of mystery to the neon lights). On Friday we walked around the French Concession, a little slice of the Old World in a very modern city. Then it was off to the airport on the magnetic Maglev train, which reached a speed of 430 km/h (approximately 240 mph), a sensation I am sure that is not unlike flying a jet aircraft at treetop level.
While we have certainly enjoyed the sightseeing Laurel's visit gave us, we are far more appreciative of the time spent with her. Our first Christmas away from home could have been a melancholy experience, but Laurel's typical cheer and wide-eyed wonder was just the tonic for any potential holiday homesickness. I don't think I had realized how much I missed her...
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Laurel's Off
Posted by
The Dunns
at
2:42 PM