
...and on earth there is Hangzhou and Suzhou. At least, that is what all of my students tell me. When I told my students that I was planning to visit Suzhou this weekend, this phrase repeatedly came up. Students who had never visited the city told me how beautiful Suzhou was (traveling around their home country is not as ingrained in the national psyche as it is for Americans). Suzhou is particularly famed for its gardens and canals.
Last night I left Hangzhou at 8:00 PM and arrived in Suzhou about 12:00. The hostel I stayed at was located next to the canal seen in the first picture. The second and third pictures are of the Humble Administrator's Garden, certainly the most famous garden in Suzhou, and perhaps in all of China. No sign of the Humble Administrator--and at the prices charged, it would be difficult to remain modest. The remaining time was spent wandering the city, and the final picture is of a pagoda located on the southern end of the old town. My final verdict is that while Suzhou is not heaven on earth, it does make for a pleasant day trip.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
There is Heaven above....
Posted by
The Dunns
at
10:17 PM