Friday, September 7, 2007

All (More Likely Just Some) of the Tea in China

Yesterday Matt went hiking with another teacher at the university who is from Hendersonville, Tennessee. While new to HDU, Andy taught in Hangzhou last year, and knew of a hike in one of the outlying tea villages near the West Lake. A twenty minute trip by city bus took us out of the city proper into a landscape of steep tea-covered hillsides and narrow, winding valleys with picturesque villages. The landscape reminded Andy and I of East Tennessee, while the cultivation of the steepest inclines reminded me of the vineyards of the Chianti region in Tuscany. I was awed by the thought that these very hills may have been used for tea cultivation for over one thousand years. I do not know of what these pictures will remind you, though I venture the photographs will not remind you of a greater metropolitan area!